Wednesday 19 September 2012

The first day

I'm in England! Norwich to be exact.  I created this blog a few days before I left but Taylor and I did not get internet until today.

But, I'll begin this first post with how our adventure started.  On September 5th at 9 pm both of my parents drove me to the airport in Toronto to meet up with Taylor and his parents.  We hung out until the very last second to spend every moment with them.  When it was time to pass through security it was a very emotional time.  I cried...a lot....The thought of not seeing my mom and dad for 3 months is very upsetting to me.  We passed through security and boarded the plane without a problem.  On-board we sat in our seats ( we paid for extra leg room so Taylor would be comfortable) and got ready for a 7 hour flight.  I barely slept on the flight, and ended up watching a lot of Rupaul's Drag Race.  Someone had messed up and I was not listed as having a vegetarian meal, but a flight attendant made sure I had a meal.  He snuck me a vegetarian one from the first class section-mushroom risotto and a brownie.  I was spoilt.

After an exhausting flight, we managed to get through customs very quickly, and our luggage was the first ones off the plane.  Then the worst part of our journey began.  We had to lug 2 suitcases (each weighing 50 lbs) and a backpack and I had my purse around London.  We took the tube to Liverpool Street,which was an hour ride.  Then we made our way to the train station and hopped on-board a train for Norwich.  The train took 2 hours, I slept through most of it.  We then endured a long walk to our new apartment.  My luggage kept hitting the back of my leg, giving me a baseball sized bruise.  We met up with our letting agent Andy (who looked much different than we imagined-he looks like a heavy metal guy who tries to look conservative for work-does that make sense?)

We entered our "flat" for the first time.  We were exhausted and at this point had been awake for 25 hours.  We met our landlords who are extremely nice and went over all the necessary things.  We explored our area a little bit.  We have a Morrison's grocery store 5 minutes from us as well as a football stadium (I am amazing, my dreads this year are neon green and yellow, which are also the colours for the Norwich football team), a Boots pharmacy, a pound store, an electronic store, a cafe, a bunch of clothes stores and the best thing ever: an Argos.  Argos is basically Ikea, but in the store there is a large number of catalogues where you choose what items you want, write down the corresponding code and hand it to a sales clerk who then goes into a huge warehouse to get your items.  My parents are amazing and gave Taylor and myself some money to make our "house a home" so we picked up a few items like towels, sheets, blankets, pillows, etc and headed home for some take away and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment