Friday 28 September 2012

Registration day

On the 21st I got up at the ungodly hour of 7:30 am to get ready and get on the bus for 8.  I got to the university and registered for classses (got my campus card and showed them my visa and degree).  It took all of 20 minutes so of course I headed back home for a little nap.  I had to be back at school for 2pm to have an introduction to the School of Museology (which is my course cultural heritage and museum studies, the museum studies course, the fine art  degree and the world arts degree) Before it began we gathered outside and we got to informally introduce ourselves to each other.  I'm the only Canadian, but there is two girls from India, three from America, one from Brussels and one from Cyprus.  We were introduced to our professors/advisors and head of the school.  After we were given a tour of the building and then they brought out some cakes and we got to socialize a bit.  One of the American girls is also a crazy cat lady (she brought her two cats with her).  I didn't stay too long at the meet and greet as I had a few chores to get done around the university.

Saturday Taylor and I left to go wander the town.  But before we left our complex we noticed a cat.  I'm crazy and always carry cat treats in my purse so I coaxed the cat close to me.  It was beautiful, it looked to be a white siamese with some blonde hair near the face and bright blue eyes.  It was quite skinny so I'm pretty sure it is a stray.  We snuggled it for quite awhile and gave it lots of treats before it ran off.  It must have been my lucky day, once that one ran off we saw another cat! This one looked to be a big fluffy long haired cat that is well taken care of.  I gave it some treats and it lets us snuggle it like crazy! I think we sat with it for a half an hour before we left. 





After that it was off to the covered market for spices.  There is a stall that sells spices by weight but also has different varieties of rices and lentils and it's extremely cheap! After we went to three different Boots (it's a pharmacy) to look for my iron pills.  Since I use such a strong dose I was a little worried it would be very expensive.  The first two Boots we went two did not have any, the third did not have any but offered to order me some.  Now in Canada a bottle of 30 capsules costs around $8, here a bottle of 100 costs 3 pounds and 60p.  I was shocked, I thought my iron pills were going to make me poor, but medicine is so cheap here!

Before we headed home we checked out the Rosary cemetery where supposedly my ancestors are buried (we didn't find them, but we only saw half the cemetery)It's a beautiful cemetery only 5 minutes from our place that is so ancient that you can barely read the names on the gravestones.  It was a beautiful sunny day so we walked around there before heading home and retiring for the night.

Entrance to the cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment