Monday 29 October 2012

Luna

I haven't posted in here for a long time.  A couple of weeks ago I phoned my mom up for our regular chat and she informed me that they took my 8 year old Bernese Mountain dog Luna to the vet and they found out her body was riddled with cancer and she did not have much longer.  The dog is my puppy sister so myself and my family were devestated.  I didn't feel like writing, interacting with humans or anything.  I was able to fly home and snuggle with her for her last few days and be there as a comfort for my family. This entry is going to be really long, but I have to write it.


Luna, a.k.a Goo-Goo, and bug was the best dog I could have ever hoped for.  When you entered the front door you got what we call a Luna greeting.  She was just so happy to see everyone, she would bark like crazy, sit on your feet for snuggles, and if you tried to move away from the greeting she would hit you with her paw, or even give you a hug with both paws.  Now this happened no matter how long you were away from the house or who you were.  She gave this greeting to everyone.  She believed when people came over to our house they came over to see her (lets be honest, they probably were).  All Luna wanted was to be with her family.  If any one of us left the house she usually laid by the door waiting for us.  Luna was extremely loved, there was never a day that went by that she didn't receive at least 100 kisses on her freckle nose.  She loved a car ride, in fact I think it was her favourite.  When people began putting on their shoes, that was her cue to go crazy since it meant she got to go on a car ride.  She also loved when my dad went out for a smoke, as it meant she could sit on the porch and look for the raccoons that lived in our neighbours roof.  I always felt bad for Luna when I became a vegetarian.  When I ate meat I didn't really like it so after dinner I would have half of it left over and lucky Luna would always get it.  When I became a vegetarian, she would still look at me after every meal, or watch me while I was eating waiting for the meat.  But, she was stuck only getting a cookie.

Luna was a big suck, and when we first got her I was so excited to have a dog to play fetch with and other fun games.  I soon learned Luna did not do this.  Her idea of playing was grabbing a toy (or a shoe) and running around the yard hoping you would try to steal it and then kinda play tug of war while barking at you. But she wasn't lazy.  She loved a good walk.  Her and my mom would walk for hours, and lucky for her every Saturday she would get to walk with her dog boyfriend.

Going home this Christmas will be really hard.  Usually when I get off the plane all I can think about it getting home and receiving "the greeting".  The house will be really empty without her.  I'm used to her being next to me almost all the time.  I will always miss my Luna, her goofy grin, her freckled nose, her warm heart, her hugs that sometimes ended in pain, and the happiness she brought to me and my family.  Even though she is no longer with us she will always be in my heart.  I am not religious in the slightest but I like to imagine her running around a field and hanging out with my cat Bandit in a place that has no pain, only lots of treats and car rides.








2 comments:

  1. Touching. It made me cry.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theodore and I miss seeing Luna and your mom on our walks.
    She is missed by her neighbourhood family as well.
    Thinking of you.
    Heather Jack

    ReplyDelete