Tuesday 2 October 2012

First day of class

On Wednesday we had our official first day of classes.  It began at 9a.m and it was a giant group of all the students studying their Masters under the World Art and Museology program.  We had to do the informal introductions.  Then we were given a group project (one that counted for nothing grades wise).  They split us into groups of 4 and each group had one person from each program.  I got paired up with three lovely girls: Supriya (from India), Caitlin (pronouced Cathlin)and Martina (from America).  Basically, the idea of the project is to choose an object from the Sainsbury museum and give a presentation on it and shared perspectives.  We had a wonder around the room, and after each choosing an image we decided to go with my favourite: a Roman statue of Isis feeding Horus, something I know a lot about.  I understand probably half you people don't care but I'm still going to explain in detail the project.  We are not to give a history of this piece, but instead discuss what each of us bring to this object with our various backgrounds and the strengths and weakness of different perspectives.  After class we all got lunch and then worked on our project.


The day was not yet done though, we then had another tour of a library, this time of the Sainsbury library.  We then had nothing planned until the evening so I headed home and relaxed.  At 6 I took the bus back to school for the formal welcome party.  I hung out mainly with my group partners, but also got to meet another American who is taking a masters of art degree.  It finished at 7 and I cam home to a delightful treat:  Taylor made dinner.  He made vegetarian lasagne from scratch.  Oh boy it was so gooooooood! It was nice not having to cook dinner for a change, although it did mean I had the lovely chore of washing the dishes.

Tomorrow night I'll post some pictures of the apartment, how exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment