Thursday 3 October 2013

Goodbye Norwich

Well tonight is not only my last night in mine and Taylor's flat but also our last night in the UK.  This year has both gone by extremely quickly and at a snails pace. Our bags are all packed (which was a task in itself, due to the fact that a year of our lives must be packed into two suitcases weighing 50 lbs each), the flat is cleaned and today we said our goodbyes.  We had a small going away party at a local pub and so many wonderful friends showed up.  This year has given both Taylor and myself wonderful memories, and friendships that I think will endure being long distance. 

Living in England (specifically getting my Masters here) has been a dream of mine since I was a teenager.  I'm so proud that not only did I get accepted into grad schools here, but I also completed the course.  It was freaking stressful, difficult and many times I think I went slightly mad, but it was also educational and enjoyable.  This year has been one of the best, not only have I met so many lovely new people, but I have been able to explore my favourite country with my favourite person.  Taylor moved with me to England without ever having visited the country, and he was scared (for obvious reasons), but he has grown to love England, and can't wait to move back. It was amazing to take him to various sites and museums that brought me so much joy, but also introducing him to British culture.  We are both going to miss cheap ale at pubs, crazy flavoured ciders, afternoon tea, fish and chips (Taylor enjoyed this and not me), Quorn, puddings, cups of English breakfast tea and so much more. 

Tomorrow is going to be hell.  We have to take a two hour train to London, lug our suitcases onto the tube for 1.5 hours and then board a plane for 8 hours that arrives at 2am British time.  Hopefully I have packed enough British sweets in our bags to keep us alive on the flight, but at least when I get home I have 3 cats to snuggle (well one will not be snuggling me) and one puppy (who seems to have the qualities of a goat). 


It's been a wonderful year.  I cannot wait till the day I can move back to this country!

No comments:

Post a Comment